Briess Crushed Caramel Malt (Crystal) 120L 50 lb
Brand : Briess
- Calculated at Checkout
Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L is a great choice for beer making. This malt is made from select two-row barley and is kilned to a deep caramel color. It adds a rich, sweet, caramel flavor and aroma to your beer. It also adds a deep red color and a smooth, full-bodied mouthfeel. This malt is perfect for adding complexity to your beer and can be used in a variety of styles, from pale ales to stouts. It is also a great choice for adding a touch of sweetness to your beer. With its deep caramel flavor and aroma, Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L 10 is sure to make your beer stand out from the crowd.
Briess Crushed Caramel Crystal Malt 120L 50 lb Used To Make More Of The Sugars And Flavor Come Out In The Brewing Process. Gives The Brewed Beer A Dark Red Color. With It's Carmel Flavor, its The Perfect Grain For Many Types Of Beer. Briess Crushed Caramel Crystal 120L Malt 50 lb Has Very Little Fermentable Sugars So It Must Be Used In Conjunction With Other Brewing Malts.
- Mealy / Half / Glassy 0% / 5% / 95%
- Plump 75%
- Thru 5%
- Moisture 3%
- Extract FG, Dry Basis 75%
- Color 120º Lovibond
- Kosher: UMK Pareve
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store in a temperate, low humidity, pest free environment at temperatures of <90 ºF. Improperly stored malts are prone to loss of freshness and flavor. Whole kernel diastatic and preground malts are best when used within 6 months from date of manufacture. Whole kernel roasted malts may begin experiencing a slight flavor loss after 18 months.
FLAVOR & COLOR CONTRIBUTIONS
- Malt Style: Caramel Malt (Roasted)
- Flavor: Pronounced Caramel, Burnt Sugar, Raisiny, Prunes
- Color: Contributes red to deep red hues
CHARACTERISTICS / APPLICATIONS
- Briess Crushed Caramel Malts are roaster produced. Roasters, rather than kilns, make the fullest flavored and best performing. Caramel Malts. Briess roasters are efficient drum roasters that have been custom designed and engineered to roast malt and barley. These customized drum roasters allow for the application of significantly higher temperatures to green malt. This is a must for the true crystallization of sugars and development of unique flavors, colors and physical properties only associated with the glassy, crystallized sugars of Caramel Malt.
- Caramel Malts are characterized by a glassy endosperm with varying degrees of sweet flavor ranging from light caramel to toffee to burnt sugar. Typical color range of Caramel Malts is 10º to 120º Lovibond.
- A distinguishing characteristic of Caramel Malts is their ability to improve foam development and stability and enhance viscosity due to non-fermentable structures they contribute to beer.
- Produced in the U.S.A. from AMBA/BMBRI recommended 2-Row malting varieties.
SUGGESTED USAGE LEVELS
- 1-3% For balance in Pilsners
- 5-10% California Common Beer, Vienna, Marzen and Oktoberfest
- 5-15% Doppelbocks, Dark Lagers and Barley Wine
- 5-15% Certain styles of Brown Ales, Scotch Ales, Stouts and Porters
OTHER PRODUCTS YOU MIGHT NEED
Your yeast selection has a big impact on your overall flavor profile and mouthfeel. You have lots of choices that will work well with Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L.
If you are purchasing Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L, you're getting ready to make beer and need to wash your equipment.
Hops is the main bittering agent in beer. You can select from a huge line of hop varietals from Hop Union to suit any brewers needs. Get the freshest hops for your next home brewing endeavor. All hops are from YHC.
The pot pictured is an 8 gallon pot that is perfect for a beer kit or a standard 5 gallon batch.
Wort Chillers and Thermometers are long term investments. It is important to chill your Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L wort quickly. The quicker you chill it the stronger the cold break will be. You also need a good thermometer because high powered boiling changes more rapid temperature fluctuations.
Auto-siphons are a great luxury item to have in your brew equipment. Once you have one you will never go without one again. Don't forget to use a heavy duty sanitizer to clean it since you don't want to replace it as often as hoses. A good sanitizer for that job is Five Star San.
If you are using Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L, you are getting ready to ferment some beer. Here's a link to our fermenter equipment.
Many people reuse their hoses for far too long. Replacing your hoses often or even using as single use items is highly recommended with beer making.
Pouring your wort into a carboy can be tricky. Use a big funnel made just for the job. They even have different mesh screens to remove particles.
All that healthy yeast is going to make a lot of gas. You'll be needing an airlock to let it out, and not let anything in. It is recommended to replace airlocks often. Because they never physically touch the beer, the sanitation risk is too often overlooked. Bacteria can spread without physical contact in a closed environment and plastic stubbornly harbors bacteria.
Making a yeast starter is a great way to avoid stuck fermentation and also get high yeast counts that allow the final cells to clean up after themselves, reducing off flavors and aromas. Higher populations means less yeast stress and less risk of off-flavors. They help make better beer and can be used with Briess Crushed Caramel (Crystal) Malt 120L. Use the right equipment to make the job easy. Flask, Foam Stopper, and Airlock.
DID YOU KNOW?
The word "ale" was the usual term for beer in early English and Scandinavian languages.